Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Reading & Art & Mary Cassatt

Mary Cassatt - The Reader, 1877


"There is no shortage of good days.  It is good lives that are hard to come by.  A life of good days lived in the senses is not enough.  The life of sensation is the life of greed; it requires more and more.  The life of the Spirit requires less and less; time is ample and its passage sweet.  Who would call a day spent reading a good day?  But a life spent reading -- that is a good life."                             --Annie Dillard

5 comments:

  1. Oh wow, that is a great quote. Lots to think about there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quote. On a side note, I just finished "Moscow Rules" by Daniel Silva, and it involved a forgery of a Mary Cassatt painting, which was fun to read about. I like all the paintings you share of women reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate that. And I'm going to have to check out that Silva novel.

      Delete
  3. I hope to have a good day on Memorial Day--after an incredibly busy month, I plan to read next Monday to my heart's content.

    I really need to get around to reading Pilgrim at Tinker Creek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it's a relaxing weekend for you. Happy reading!

      Delete