Sunday, December 22, 2013

A Bookish Blizzard...

"...not all blizzards were created equal..."

     Every time it snows part of me just wants to stay inside where it's warm and dry, and where I can curl up on the couch with a good book. This last snowstorm I had the perfect book to read:  Trapped by Michael Northrop. 
     When a massive nor'easter hits the East Coast, seven students end up snowed in at the Tattawa Regional High School. They think it will be for just one night, but in the morning so much snow has fallen no one can get in or out. To make matters worse, their cell phones don't work. Then the power goes out and it starts to get cold. And the snow keeps on falling.
"I don't think any of us thought that people would actually die in this storm. We'd been through lots of them, and it'd never happened to anyone we knew. We'd have to change that thinking, though..."
I love disaster/survival novels and this one was better than most. It felt authentic and believable and even had me reaching for a blanket and some hot chocolate while I read. It also got me wondering if I would be able to survive a blizzard like the one in Trapped. This is definitely a fun winter read.

8 comments:

  1. I think this book would start to freak me out if I read i during a snowstorm! I'm glad you enjoyed it though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely gave me the shivers...in more ways than one.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a good winter book! I am going to have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK- I read this one in about 4 days. Quick to read, fun and a little scary at the same time. Can't imagine that much snow all at once!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? It makes me cold just thinking about it.

      Delete
  4. I love survival stories like this one, too! I always wonder what I'd do in the same situation. :)

    ReplyDelete