Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Another bookish list...

I love books. And bookstores. I also love books about bookstores. And, as an unapologetic bookworm, I have to admit I even love reading books about books and reading. (Almost as much as I love bookish lists.) So in the interest of combining all these loves in one post, here's my list of 10 bookishly bookish reads:

The "bookstore" books:

The Little Bookstore of Big Stone Gap by Wendy Welch
Three Things You Need to Know About Rockets by Jessica Fox.
     (Which is not at all about rockets, but about love and romance and a bookstore in Scotland.)
Sixpence House: Lost in a Town of Books by Paul Collins
     (This one takes place in Hay-on-Wye in Wales!)
The Yellow-Lighted Bookstore by Lewis Buzbee
Shelf Life by Suzanne Strempek Shea

All of the above titles are memoirs about books and bookstores...if you like that kind of thing. Which I do.

"I am the unique sum of
the books I have read.
I am my literary DNA."
--Susan Hill  
          The "Reading" Reads:

Howard's End is on the Landing: A Year of Reading From Home by Susan Hill
Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi
Reading the OED by Ammon Shea
    (This crazy guy actually read the entire Oxford English Dictionary!)
The Reading Promise by Alice Ozma
The Year of Reading Dangerously by Andy Miller

"Is it wrong to prefer books to people? A book is
like a guest you have invited into your home, except
you don't have to play pictionary with it."     
--Andy Miller        


A bonus eleventh recommendation:

Happy Reading!


19 comments:

  1. Yes! Books about books are the BEST!! I love these kinds of books. They are always so much fun to read. Plus, they provide you a new list of books to read :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love books about books but,sadly, haven't read any of these. Sounds like I need to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're in the mood for a book about books or reading, any and all of these are good! :)

      Delete
  3. Great list! I have read both the Susan Howard and the Azar Nafis books. Along those lines, on my to get list is a title that Simon at Stuck in a Book recently mentioned: My Life with Bob: Flawed Heroine Keeps Book of Books, Plot Ensues, Reviews by Pamela Paul who is an editor of the NYTBR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh...that one sounds like a book right up my alley. :)

      Delete
  4. Even though I adore books about books, I haven't read most of these. I'm definitely going to add them to my TBR list. Thanks for the awesome-sounding recs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy! If you think of others, please add them to my list! :)

      Delete
  5. The Man Who Loved Books to Much is a good one! I enjoyed reading Shelf Life, and could relate to some of what Shea writes about in the memoir. Reading in Lolita in Tehran is probably my favorite of those you mention that I've read. I think though I would have gotten more out of it had I read all of the books she discusses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree; it's always better when you've read the book they're talking about...which only happens about half the time for me, if I'm lucky. :)

      Delete
  6. That's a great list, Lark! Of course we couldn't turn down on books which have a bookish theme, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a weakness for books about books and books about bookstores. Yellow-Lighted Bookstore was wonderful! Must check out the others on your list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds these kinds of books irresistable. :)

      Delete
  8. Oh man, what a great post! I'm in dire need of some of this nerdy book love. Even the covers of these books are dreamy. I'll be adding them all to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These books are like catnip to us readers -- thanks for the great lists!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good way to describe it. :D How's your Reading Bingo going? I was doing pretty well, but then I got stuck on a couple of categories. Hopefully, I can get back on track soon. Good to hear from you.

      Delete
  10. Behind on reading reviews, but like many others, I'm always drawn to books about books or bookstores!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just can't resist them. I think I'm always hoping to find that next great book to read in them, you know? ;)

      Delete