Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Bookish suspense...

"I'm tired of collecting the dead."


Known as The Human Bloodhound, Magnus "Steps" Craig is part of the FBI's elite three-man Special Tracking Unit. He can find the lost and abducted. He can even find the dead. And he doesn't need physical clues or footprints in order to track them down; he can follow the essence they leave behind.
"...my special gift. I see the hidden; I see the shine, every touch, every footfall, every hand on a wall. Some might call it an aura, I just call it life energy; either way it leaves its soft glowing trace on everything we come in contact with... sometimes it's chartreuse, or muddy mauve, or flaming coral, or crimson baked-earth. Every shine is different and specific to a person..."
So when Steps stumbles across a distinctive black shine at his local mall, he quickly recognizes it as belonging to a killer he's seen before; a killer he's been trying to catch for ten years. Now he and his partner are not only on the trail of this elusive murderer from Step's past, the one they've dubbed "Leonardo", but they've got another serial killer to hunt down in the Pacific Northwest. This one has been abducting and killing young women with brunette hair and leaving a sad face behind at each scene as his calling card. And they've got to hurry before the Sad Face killer murders his latest victim, a young woman named Lauren whose shine is pure gold.  No wonder Steps can't sleep at night.

Collecting the Dead by Spencer Kope is a crazy good mystery/thriller. I love Magnus "Steps" Craig; he's such an appealing character:  complicated, a bit haunted, smart, and funny. His secret tracking ability is pretty cool, too. And I really like his friendship with his partner, Special Agent Jimmy Donovan. They make a great team! Besides having great characters, this novel is also suspenseful, fast-paced, smart, well-written, and very entertaining. I was hooked from the first page to the last. I hope Kope hurries up and writes his next book about this unforgettable and completely awesome character because I already can't wait to read it.

Happy Reading!


17 comments:

  1. This sounds both interesting and intriguing. Will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun and different; I really enjoyed it!

      Delete
  2. Ooo! I might just have to lift my ban on crime novels to read this one. It sounds very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The characters in this book are so great...it's definitely worth making an exception for. :)

      Delete
  3. Another one of my favorite bloggers (kaysreadinglife.blogspot.com) just posted a rave review of this one. Now I definitely have to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't really read crime novels as all the interviewing suspects and witnesses side of things kind of bores me! I do like the sound of this one from a plot point of view though. A bit different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No interviewing of subjects or police procedures in this one...so it doesn't bog down like some crime novels can. And the characters are so great. :)

      Delete
  5. You certainly got my attention with this one! Will be checking Collecting the Dead out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn! I missed this one on NG, and it is no longer offered. Maybe the library...

      Delete
    2. Hopefully your library has a copy because this one is definitely worth reading! :)

      Delete
  6. Sounds like an interested twist on the crime novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! Kind of a nice change, actually. :)

      Delete
  7. I like the sound of "crazy good"! I will have to look for this one. Thank you for the recommendation, Lark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought this one was a lot of fun. I hope you enjoy it, too. :)

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. It is! I'm chomping at the bit for his next book to be published. :)

      Delete